Friday, March 16, 2012

Decisions, decisions.....

I hate decisions. I am such an indecisive person (or am I?) that I have  gone back and forth, round and round,  and back again this week. The time crunch is stemming from the 20% off sale on the Decora cabinets. They do this twice a year, so we would have to wait til Fall to get the promotion again. I'm very glad that they still make our existing kitchen cabinets. We are only ordering an oven cabinet, 36" drawer base cabinet, and 6" pull-out spice base cabinet. That's it as far as actual cabinets go. We are also ordering beadboard for the back of the island, a couple pieces of crown moulding and some cabinet skins. And grand total of that, you ask? $2800. Yikes. They're pretty darn proud of their cabinets, don't ya think? And they're nice, but come on. They're not THAT nice. I'm told they're expensive because they are semi-custom...whatever that means. So kudos to using what is already in place. And that's what we had planned on doing for the appliances....buuuuuuuut we've changed our minds about that also. We decided to do an induction cooktop and built in ovens instead of a free standing range. I think it's the right deicision. And too late, too bad, if it's not. Because the cabinets have been ordered. Non-refundable. Non-returnable. So there you go. It's done! If you're looking to do a kitchen remodel, I think Decora does a really nice line of cabinetry. You can check out their products here:

http://www.decoracabinets.com/

The existing cabinets are the Harmony Maple Suede, as seen in the pic below.


I would have loved to do an island of a different color, but I'm afraid that will be a fading fad, and you know there's that other issue; money. So, they will all match and we'll stick to a classic kitchen since this will be our one and only shot at a dream kitchen....at least in this house.

My mission for today is to decide on a double oven. That's right. I have to decide today so the cabinets can actually be ordered.  Perhaps it's a good thing to be on a time crunch. Hey, I basically planned my entire wedding in one afternoon so this should be easy, right?!

5 comments:

  1. Yuck. I would HATE to feel rushed on placing my order. Good luck! And as I recall, you had a tiny bit of help planning your wedding from Norma...maybe she could help???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, Norma was the definite "lead me in the right direction" lady. All I had to do was nod yes or no. Pretty easy job!

      Delete
  2. Well, we haven't done anything I've regretted so far :0 So if we can keep that trend going, I'll consider it a blessing. And at the end of the day, this stuff is just that. Stuff. Doesn't make an ounce of difference in the hereafter....one thing's for sure though. I will definitely be enjoying that kitchen when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just take consolation in knowing that no matter what you choose, there will probably be something that you'll be saying, "Now why did I do that??" We built our "dream home" a few houses back, and we laughed at all the little things that we discovered we would change - only 6 months after moving in. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting lady I follow is currently remodeling a new residence. You should check out some of her recent posts: http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/2012/03/one-more-for-the-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete